Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Reflection - Class THREE


I know that two and two make four - & should be glad to prove it too if I could - though I must say if by any sort of process I could convert 2 & 2 into five it would give me much greater pleasure. - George Gordon, Lord Byron

Tonight we had a guest lecturer, Peggy Foo. In my opinion, the gist of the lesson today was Mathematical Investigation and Lesson Study.

I learnt that Mathematical Investigation has multidimensional content; it is open-ended, permitting several acceptable solutions; an exploration requiring a full period or several classes to complete; centered on a theme or event; and often embedded in a focus question. In addition, a mathematical investigation involves a number of processes, which include - researching outside sources to gather information; collecting data through such means as surveying, observing, or measuring; collaborating, with each team member taking on specific jobs; and using multiple strategies for reaching solutions and conclusions. The best part of it is that the teacher can carry this out at the beginning, middle or ending of the lesson.


Lesson Study is a big word, but is an IN-word for a teaching professional. I was googling about it online when I come across this page on [Lesson Study]. Lesson Study is a form of school-based professional development and teacher-initiated instructional improvement. From my best knowledge/understanding, it could be like the Learning Circle I am currently involved with back in school. We look at an aspect of our teaching as a group, then try to identify the cause of a problem (that may not be exactly a problem, but an area that we can improve on), then experiment with ways that we could improvise on the lesson or the way the lesson is carried out.

No comments:

Post a Comment