Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Chapter 1 - Reflection



How many of us are born genius who can do mathematics without fear/doubts?

In order to become a mathematics teacher, one must have a passion for math and the perseverance to learn, do and practice math no matter how tough it might sometimes be. And like the words of Albert Einstein, "Pure mathematics is, in its way, the poetry of logical ideas". I am not an avid fan of mathematics. In fact, prior to learning how fun mathematics can be whilst doing my diploma, I would avoid mathematics. (I always thought it was a miracle that I managed to get B3 for E. Maths at the O's.) But I do like that in this chapter, mathematics is analysed right up to its simplest form - the most fundamental purpose and ways to instruct math. I particularly like the technology principle for school mathematics! Other than allowing calculators which makes numbers look friendlier, the use of computer applications or the latest iPhone app is a fun way to engage students (like me) in growing an interest and liking for mathematics.

For example - Math Bingo which is exactly what is sounds like. This fun app was developed by an elementary school teacher, and it shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment