Monday, August 22, 2011

Reflection - Class ONE

If people do not believe that mathematics is simple, it is only because they do not realize how complicated life is. - John Louis von Neumann


I always thought that mathematics is too complicated for a simple-minded me. Well, I think I am very wrong. It has never occur to me that mathematics "is more than completing sets of exercises or mimicking processes the teacher explains". I admit, when Dr. Yeap wanted us to figure out and problem-solve the Name Problem, I was rather reluctant to try. I was more of really waiting for the answers and the method to be given. But when we continued further to solve problems like Spelling Cards, it was like ahh-ha! There and then, I began to think that mathematics is like Kinder Surprise. Some people may be quick to figure the problem out, while others may need more time to see it through; essentially, it is how one chooses to perceive the "problem" and solve it to achieve the end goal. At the end of the process, you will realised that you have gained more than solving the problem and achieving the answer. Because if you can't fix the toy from the chocolate, you won't know what kind of surprise you're in for!



It's a Kinder Magic




I fully agree with Dr. Yeap on the point that teachers need to have a professional knowledge of what they are teaching. This would allow us to use the appropriate vocabulary to explain mathematical points/concepts when conversing with parents or other educators. (And to perhaps convince parents that we actually KNOW something!)

No comments:

Post a Comment